- Ethiopia is home to approximately 5 million orphans. 18% have lost at least one parent to AIDs. 34% have lost their mother. 52% have lost their father, and 14% (700,000) have lost both parents.
- The average annual income is $380.
- The minimum wage is 8 birr/day (USD 60 cents).
- Nearly 40% of the population is below the poverty line, living on less than $1.25/day.
- 11% of children will die before age 5.
- Over 60% of the population do not have access to safe drinking water, and 90% do not have access to adequate sanitation facilities.
- 2% of the population is infected with HIV.
- The doctor/population ratio is 1:42,000.
- Only 45% of children attend primary school, and nearly 60% of the population is illiterate.